It’s all about the programme.
Why do young people join and continue to come to Scouts? I am willing to bet that it is because they enjoy it, have fun with their friends, try new things – in other words it is about the programme.
Last week I was speaking to a parent who told me that they had changed the Scout Troop their children go to because there was a better programme at the other one. That made me think – do we all deliver to the balanced programme, giving the young people the variety that they are looking for. We are not a sports club or a drama group – we offer a mix of activities that are designed to give our members Skills for Life.
Here are a few random thoughts:
- We are not all experts in every area of the programme – don’t be afraid to ask others to help. Your ADCs and other leaders provide a valuable source of ideas.
- We have a County Activities Adviser and Creative Activities Adviser – why not pick their brains for ideas.
- We know that young people love being outdoors – don’t let the British weather get in the way!
- Make sure that we have variety in the programme – don’t always play the same games! This keeps the young people and the leaders interested.
- Every year make sure that you cover all areas of the programme.
- Look at Programmes on Line for loads of good programme ideas – https://members.scouts.org.uk/pol/login.do
- If you have a good idea – share it!
The results of this year’s census showed that we had awarded top awards in the sections as follows
|Award||Number||% of eligible membership|
|Beavers – Bronze CSA||340||22|
|Cubs – Silver CSA||261||14|
|Scouts – Gold CSA||105||7|
|Explorer + Network – Platinum CSA||20||3|
|Explorer + Network – Diamond CSA||15||2|
|Queen’s Scout Award||2||0|
|Young Leader Belt||5||1|
Wouldn’t it be great to see an increase in the number of top awards achieved by our members.
Happy Scouting and see you at Get In!