Is it wrong to be proud of what we do?
The last month has bought its usual round of highs and lows – I am delighted to say that there are lots more of the former. It is a good time to be a part of Warwickshire Scouting and we have much to be proud of:
- At the start of the month we announced that our youth membership had grown by 4.4%.
- I have presented Queen Scouts Award, Chief Scout Awards and Gold Duke of Edinburgh Awards to some great young people.
- I had the pleasure of investing a new leader – an 18 year old ready to take on the challenge and clearly enjoying the role.
- I formally presented Silver Acorn and bar to Silver Acorn awards – the comments that the young people made about how they value the leaders was insightful and humbling.
- The Mayors and the Deputy Lord Lieutenant who visited “Get In” were full of praise for the role that Scouting is playing in the community.
- I helped with a Group Gang Show with the young people taking ownership of the event.
- And of course 4,000 young people and adults had a great time at Get In
Nationally it has also been exciting. The big news is that we have released our strategic plan to 2023
By 2023 we will have prepared more young people with skills for life, supported by amazing leaders delivering an inspiring programme.
We will be growing, more inclusive, shaped by young people and making a bigger impact in our communities.
You can learn more about it at http://scouts.org.uk/about-us/strategy/vision-for-2023/
We have also updated our branding – I think it gives a clean and fresh image for us for the future.
So lots to be proud of.
Remember all the good things when the going gets a little tough and walk tall.
This is why we do Scouting.
Have a great June, Nigel