Our current system is based primarily on forwarding addresses, eg firstname.lastname@example.org being forwarded to a personal email address (such as a hotmail account). This means potentially personal/sensitive data is held within personal accounts rather than county accounts.
It was also very hard to be able to ‘send as’ a @warwickshirescouts.org.uk email account without signing into the old system directly, which wasn’t friendly or intuitive.
What is the new system?
The new system uses GSuite – this is what Google calls Gmail, Google Drive and its other software when packaged for business purposes. As a non-profit organisation, we get this for free. WAGS are already using this system and it is going well.
Here’s some of the reasons why we’re making the change:
- Moving away from personal email addresses means that data is held under Warwickshire Scouts control.
- GSuite will be set up to be GDPR compliant, with sufficient security measures to adequately protect data.
- Should we get served with a Right of Access under GDPR, no one needs to provide data held within their personal accounts
- Gmail and Google Drive are common and recognisable
- They’re easier to use than the RoundCube/Squirrelmail of the old system
- Strong compatibility – They are easy to set up on iOS (Apple), Android, Windows and Mac devices so you can access email with ease.
- We get unlimited free accounts, where as we currently pay a three figure sum for our accounts.
- Each account gets 30GB of Google Drive storage
If you have any questions about this, please fire an email over to Paul using email@example.com.